Pages

Friday, September 30, 2016

PSALM 119

verses 44-48


"So I will keep Your law continually ,
Forever and ever.
And I will walk at liberty ,
For I seek Your precepts.
I will also speak of Your testimonies before kings
And shall not be ashamed.
I shall delight in Your commandments,
Which I love.
And I shall lift up my hands to Your commandments,;
Which I love;
And I will meditate on Your statutes."



The Psalmist exudes joyfulness:
keep, seek
forever and ever.
walk at liberty,
speak before kings,
not be ashamed.
I shall delight
I love
I shall lift up my hands
I love...



This song/Psalm was not a dirge and makes me want to know what the music sounded like.
This is a little "I will dwell in Your house forever"-ish.  Forever and ever-ish.  In other words, I will keep it together down here, but there is more, a forever and ever. 



"A joyful song I will raise;
But oh! eternity's too short
To utter all Thy praise."
(Addison)




Then the outstanding verse to me is,
"I will walk at liberty."



"Walk at liberty, the spirit of holiness, a free spirit,
freemen out of slaves in Egypt.
Perfection of obedience,
the more shall we enjoy complete emancipation
from every form of spiritual slavery."



"Whenever God pardons sin, He subdues it.
If a jailor comes and knocks off his chains and fetters
and lets him out of prison,
then know him pardoned."
(Thomas Watson)




As I've said many times before, my favorite hymn is "And Can It Be," by Charles Wesley
with the verse that has been redone lately into another beautiful song...

"Long my imprisoned spirit lay,
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray--
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee."



"There is a state, brethren, when we recognize God, but don't love God in Christ.
It is the state when we admire what is excellent, but we are not able to perform it.
...we are under the law, and not converted to the love of Christ.
And then there is another state,
when God writes His love upon our hearts by love instead of fear.
The one state is 'I cannot do the thing that I would;'
the other state is this, 'I will walk in liberty.'"
(Frederick William Robertson)





"Free walk with God.
Free talk about God.
Free love unto God.
Free exercise of the soul.
(William Durbin)




There's this little verse,
"I will speak before..."



I have not spoken before a king.  Have you?  However, I am a woman of a certain age that means I am a little freer to say what I think.  Even though I am an introvert, I am not inhibited really.  I am opinionated as you surely have noticed and not afraid to speak my mind.  My chains fell off a long ago.  It helped me to stand alone in high school, to be friends with the crowd, but not be one of the crowd.  It helped me to speak to administration to report sexual harassment long before those terms were familiar about my main professor in the degree I was seeking.  There were uncomfortable moments when it got back to him what I had done.  He later was terminated for propositioning a fellow faculty member at our Christian college.  It helped me to speak about abortion to a state senator, a local doctor who later became a governor of Oregon.  He was mean and nasty in his reply, not a nice man.  It helped me to sing on courthouse steps, to hold signs on the street in silent protest even though I was accosted.  It helped me to speak to leaders in the denomination we left about ungodliness that was not dealt with in the church.  I am free.  The king I speak to is the King of Kings!




The Psalmist here is thought to be referring to David who instructed King Achish of his faith.  It is a hint of Daniel in the lions den who was not afraid to speak to a king, nor was Ezra or Nehemiah..  Even Queen Esther spoke to the king "for such a time as this." It is opposite of the crowd who said, "We have no king, but Caesar."   



"Public profession, I will speak.
Private delight in His word."



"I shall delight in Your commandments,
Which I love.
I shall lift up my hands to Your commandment,
Which I love."



"He who would preach boldly to others
must himself delight in the practice of what he preaches."
(George Horn)



"Thy commandments, which I loved... 
With hearty affection...
O shame to Christians who feel so little affection to the gospel of Christ;
when we see such cordial, conscientious, and inviolate attachment in a Jew
to the laws and ordinances of Moses,
that did not afford a thousandth part of privileges!"
(Adam Clarke)


"Scripture in the hand for reading,
In the mind for meditation,
In the heart for love."


"I will lift up my hands...
I will meditate."



Prayer is a lifting up of the hands and the heart.
Have you talked to your King today?




















No comments:

Post a Comment