Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

PSALM 119


"Breathings" from verses 121-123,
in this alphabetical section of the Psalm.
(Albert Barnes)



"I have done justice and righteousness;
Do not leave me to my oppressors.
Be surety for Your servant for good;
Do not let the arrogant oppress me."
(verses 121-122)



"We should have been crushed beneath our proud adversary the devil if our Lord Jesus had not stood between us and the accuser and become a surety for us."
(The Treasury of David)

"My eyes fail with longing for Your salvation
And for Your righteous word."
(verse 123)



As a kid, did you, or did you not try to look at the sun until your eyes ached and burned?  Yeah, our mamas told us not to, that we could become blind if we looked too long.  This is kind of what it is like to look for God before our eyes fail.




"He looked long, he looked till his eyes ached.  The mercy is, that if our eyes fail, God does not fail, nor do His eyes fail.  Eyes are tender things...His eyes as well as his ears waited for the Lord's word: he looked to see the divine word."



Flip this around and think of how the Prodigal's father looked constantly and long for the return of his son.  So I guess God looks too longing for our salvation, to save us.

"Deal with Your servant according to Your lovingkindess
And teach me Your statutes.
I am Your servant; give me understanding,
That I may know Your testimonies."
(verse 124-125)



I've read enough Regency and Victorian fiction to know that a good servant anticipates the master of the house's wishes.  Personally, I'm not gifted with a natural servant's heart.  I know, I know, it is better to serve than to be served.  However, I'm not usually the first one to jump up and see to another's comfort.  I am always amazed at waiters or waitresses who can serve with a smile.  To be honest, I would have a difficult time pulling that off.  But, to be a servant to our Lord, waiting on Him, sitting at His feet  being taught of Him, receiving more understanding is more my cup of tea.



The Psalmist, a king, used the term "servant" three times in this passage to describe himself.  But
"did not the firstborn Son assume the servant's role?"






"I am thy servant; give me understanding, etc. I am not a stranger to Thee, but Thine own domestic servant; let me want (lack) no grace, which may enable me to serve Thee." William Cowper



"Teach me...Give me understanding"

"David had Nathan and Gad the prophets and the Levites to teach him.  He read the word of God diligently...but all this was nothing unless God did teach him.  Other teachers speak to the ear, but God speaks to the heart." William Cowper

No comments:

Post a Comment