Pages

Monday, October 24, 2016

PSALM 119
  


"I cried with all my heart;
answer me, O Lord!
I cried to You;
save me
And I shall keep Your testimonies.
I rise before dawn and cry for help;
I wait for Your words."
(verses 145-147)

"It's my party, I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to, cry if I want to."
Hmm.  Was this '50's song inspired by these three verses?


While watching my grandkids this past weekend, after reading one of their favorite books, "Oh, David, It's Christmas," I had the good idea to ask them for their Christmas wish lists, a rather dangerous thing to do to five year olds.  Why?  Because when they find out that the wished for baby brother and real parrot won't be under the tree, it causes hysteria at bedtime!  Sorry about that.  Such tears, such wailings! I tried to prepare them that those hopes might not be delivered by Santa, but they truly believed.  Oops.  And, oh, they probably won't be getting the genie in the bottle that they asked for either.
We are all big "Oh, David" fans.


We cry from fear, from fear of abandonment, fear of pain, fear of loss, fear of the unknown, and yes, fear of not getting everything we ever wanted.  In the move of my husband's library back to our home, I came across a small book and tucked it away to read at such a time as this when addressing the tears as the Psalmist described: "Answer me! Save me! Help me!"  It is Pierre Teilhard de Chardin's book, "On Suffering."  It is selections from the writer's works from 1918-1972.  Here is one from "Writings from Time of War," 1968 as he addresses God...




"What is there in suffering that commits me so deeply to you?  Why, when you stretched out nets to imprison me, should I have thrilled with greater joy than when you offered me wings?

It is because the only element I hanker after in your gifts is the fragrance of your power over me and the touch of your hand upon me.  For what exhilarates us human creatures more than freedom, more than the glory of achievement, is the joy of finding and surrendering to a beauty greater than man, the rapture of being possessed...It is only in opposition to my own appetites, and only by conquering them, that your power, my God, takes on for my heart its complete reality, and stamps me to the quick with the beautifying imprint of its domination."




I love reading thoughts that are a hint of a beauty that is out there.  But I'm also glad the Psalmist wrote on a little more down to earth level crying for help, expecting God to answer, to save, while he waited.  It's your party.  What do you want to do?








No comments:

Post a Comment