Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2016

PSALM 119

In between rainy days...


we moved a whole library!

verse 108-112

"O accept the freewill offering of my mouth, O Lord,
And teach me Your ordinances.
My life is continually in my hand,
Yet I do not forget Your law.
The wicked have laid a snare for me,
Yet I have not gone astray from Your precepts.
I have inherited Your testimonies forever,
For they are the joy of my heart.
I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes
Forever, even to the end."


Saturday was moving day.  My husband's office got moved into our garage.  Young men from the Teen Challenge Center where my husband works came to help.  For pizza and Pepsi, they boxed up the multitude of books, loaded the empty shelves, and the huge antique roll top desk and then moved it into the garage-office.  Then they filled the trailer with junk and drove off to go to the dump into the mist. 



But as they were eating, one of my son's friends who got here in time to help with the unloading, came in to eat with the crew.  He told how he might be sent to the Himalayas to be a monk, to be stripped down to his almost nothings so he can meditate, but not on the one true God.  Bless Noah from Nebraska. As he listened, he was concerned enough that he asked if he could pray with this kid.  And he did.  So, it was pizza, Pepsi, and prayer.  Yes!    Now that's a freewill offering of his mouth, pleasing to God.  Pizza in, prayer out. 


Another way to say, "My life is continually in my hand," is "My soul is in continual danger."  So what does he do?  He picks up his sword, "the sword of the Spirit, and his life depended on the use he made of it: if the soldier, whose life depends upon on his drawn sword, does not use it well, his enemy kills him." (Adam Clarke)   



This is the picture over my husband's desk.

This is where our nation is now.  The Biblical illiteracy of even those who call themselves evangelical Christians is astounding.  Without this, the people perish.  There is many a snare out there.  We are under attack, but even the Christians are unarmed, regular push-overs.





We have such a wonderful God-given heritage!  It was handed down to us, and we can pass it on to the next generation.  The Psalmist prefers God's testimonies to riches and crowns.  "In verse 57, he says, 'God is my portion.' In this he says, 'Thy testimonies have I taken as a heritage.  To these he was heir:   he had inherited them from the fathers; and he was determined to leave them to his family forever.  If a man can leave nothing to his child but a Bible, in that he bequeaths him the greatest treasure in the universe." (Adam Clarke)  Thus the Psalmist says, "they are the rejoicing of my heart."

Well, I just gave away over 150 books.  Now we just moved ten more bookshelves into our garage which will soon be full of my preacher-man's books, as soon as we unpack them. He inherited his library  from my father, my grandfather, and great-grandfather as well as a seminary professor.  It's quite a collection. We also moved in his desk, a roll top desk that I inherited from my grandfather, George Wise, one which he purchased from the Burbank train station at one time long ago.  Someday in the not too distance future, we will down-size.   These will all have to find new homes.  The only book I hope to leave each of our children is the Bible.  Yes, I'll be glad if they want to take many other books off our hands, but there's only one worth inheriting. 


Well, this was the first day I was back on my feet since I've been sick: the medicine had given me muscle weakness and nausea.  Just in time!  So, the garage got cleaned in a hurry because the crew was coming.  Now that they are gone, I'm ready to recline and incline my heart.  It makes me think of the youngest disciple who would lean on Jesus, recline up against him.  I have a granddaughter like that who likes to walk or ride her bike down to see me.  Out of our huge sectional, she just likes to sit right up snuggly beside me.  Our hearts can incline on God and His truths because we love Him and rest there.  That's the kind of inclining I'm talking about.  Forever, even unto the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment