Pages

Friday, October 7, 2016

PSALM 119

verse 74



"May those who fear You see me and be glad,
Because I wait for Your word."

When we were driving through the Smokey Mountains up from Tennessee into the Carolinas, we found that churches were plentiful, I mean the brick and white steeple kind of churches, beautiful ones.  In fact as travelers we found that there were a whole lot more churches than places to eat along the way.  These folks must only eat out only at church potlucks we figured since they would have to drive forty miles to get to a restaurant or drive-in.  They had to be awful glad to see each other in the House of the Lord or even as good neighbors leaning on the fence in front of their manicured lawns--no unmowed grass to be seen hardly in the whole state!  This is a part of our country that still loves to meet in the name of the Lord evidently.





When I grew up in the Midwest, church folks called each other sister so and so and brother so and so.  I would be Sister Jolley.  It warms my heart when there are a few still out there that call me that.  That's the kind of glad we should have when we see each other, like a kind of family reunion of the saints.  No wonder we like to gather together in church.  I'd like to think that there are those who would "see me and be glad."



"The fear of God is not a left-handed grace, as some have called it;
it is quite consistent with gladness;
for if the sight of a comrade gladdens the God-fearing,
how glad must they be in the presence of the Lord Himself!
Hopeful men bring gladness with them...
those whose hopes are grounded upon God's word carry sunshine
in their faces and are welcomed by their fellows."
(Treasury of David)



Of someone like this, one could say,
"He is an epistle of Christ,
written expressly to illustrate
the preciousness and power of the Gospel."
(G.F.)

The KJV says,
"They that fear Thee will be glad when they see me;
because I have hoped in Thy word."



It is an example of "the fruit of hoping grace!"
(Thomas Manton)


"Because I have hoped in Thy word.
And have not been disappointed.
The Vulgate rendereth it
"I have over-hoped."
(John Trapp)

We can be over-joyed and over-hoped!
Well how 'bout that!



No comments:

Post a Comment