Pages

Monday, October 17, 2016

PSALM 119

verses 113-120



More examples of the fall...

"I hate those who are double-minded,
But I love Your law.
Depart from me, evildoesrs,
That I at observe the commandments of my God.
Sustain me according to Your word, that I may live;
And do not let me be ashamed of my hope.
Uphold me that I may be safe,
That I may have regard for Your statutes continually.
Your have rejected all those who wander from Your statutes,
For their deceitfulness is useless.
You have removed all the wicked of the earth like dross;
Therefore I love Your testimonies.
My flesh trembles for fear of You,
And I am afraid of Your judgments."




Hate is a strong word.  It is a biblical word however.  It is the opposite of love.  The Psalmist is showing the extremes of how much he loves God's law.  Once again we refer to James 1:7-8 for the description of the double-minded man: "That man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."  As earlier in the verse it says that these doubters who do not ask for the wisdom of God are like "the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind."  David distains those who are caught in the riptide of double-mindedness who call to him, "Come on in!  The water is great!"  They will be carried away, they will depart.

Adam Clarke doesn't mince words in his interpretation of these verses: "I have hated tumultuous violent men.  I abominate all mobs and insurrections and troublers of the public peace," for the King James Version says, "I hate vain thoughts..."  Vain things run riot.  We have seem of late such mobs and violence.  It is alright to hate such things.  "Abhor, hate, what is evil and cling to what is good." Romans 12:9" 


The commentator goes on to say, "To God therefore and His word, he would adhere in all extremities; and would have no communions with the wicked. These he would drive away as the pests of piety.."  Pests of piety?  I love that!  Bad company corrupts good morals so drive them away; don't coddle them or join them as they run to do evil.


Then the Psalmist asks God to sustain him, to uphold him.  We cannot live in this wicked world unless God sustains us and upholds us.  Therein is our hope and assurance.  The King James Version says, "Thou art my hiding place and my shield."  Adam Clarke calls it "My asylum.  There is a time which I may be called to suffer in secret; then Thou hidest me.  There may be a time in which Thou callest me to fight; then Thou art my Shield and Protector...I abominate the profane, and will have not communion with them.  I drive them away from my presence.  Uphold me.  Prop me up, give me Thyself to lean upon.  I shall grow weary and faint in the way if not strengthened and supported by Thee."


"Thou hast trodden down"
That's King James for rejection of those who wander.  The wicked will have their
 their day of reckoning.  This past Sunday, we were reminded of Prov. 6:16-19

"There are six things which the Lord hates,
Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:
Haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
And hands which shed innocent blood,
A heart that devises wicked plans,
Feet that run rapidly to evil,
A false witness who utters lies,
And one who spread strife among brothers."

Like I said, "hate" is a biblical word.  I'm so glad that our God does not shrug at sin and walk away.  He takes it seriously.  He hates it!  It is an abomination to Him!  How He must hate how low our politics have sunk!   And like I said, one day they will have to answer for it.


"Their deceitfulness is useless."

Adam Clarke says, "The wicked often become rich and great; and affect to be happy: but it is all false; they have neither a clean nor an approving conscience.  Nor can they have Thy approbation (approval); and, consequently, no true blessedness. 


"You have removed all the wicked of the earth like dross;

Adam Clarke continues, "There is no true metal in them: when they are tried by the refining fire, they are burnt up; they fly off in fumes, and come to no amount.  There is probably an allusion here to the scum...at the surface of melting metals, which is swept off previously to the metal's being cast into the mold."  He goes on to say, "they are utterly vile, and of no account in Your sight."


My dad had many interests and chased down many rabbit holes.  Once he and his friends held a uranium claim in the high desert.  He would go on weekends sometimes to do a little refining to see if he could come up with a pure amount.  In his workshop, there were many clay crucibles.  Most were small, but he later brought home a couple of huge ones to use as planters.  They were beautiful because the melted ore had dribbled down the sides leaving colorful trails.  Dross.  It was the spittle of pure ore, skimmed off and left to drip. 


"My flesh trembleth."

"Happy is he who by other men's harm learns to be wise. 
We should work out our salvation by fear and trembling."
(Adam Clarke) 

We need to all get our trembleth on!







No comments:

Post a Comment