Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2016

PSALM 119

verses 129-132





"Your testimonies are wonderful;
Therefore my soul observes them.

"There is a height, length, depth, and breadth, in Thy word and Testimonies,
that are truly astonishing; and on this account my soul loves them, and I deeply study them.
The more I study, the more light and salvation I obtain."
(Adam Clarke)


The unfolding of Your words gives light;
It gives understanding to the simple."
(verse 130)



Wesley called it, "Plain truth for plain people."
We don't have to be scholarly to comprehend God's Word
because He turns on the light;
He gives us the understanding.
It is a gift to those who believe.
"Except you become as a little child..."
kind of acceptance of truth.

It was such good news recently when our 18 year old in his group home said that he had been going to youth group, had been learning in his study how to be a man, had been reading his Bible every day saying, "and I understand it."  Then to go to church and hear how one sweet little senior lady tell how she prayed every day for our son because her daughter had been out there for 22 years before she came back to the light. 


"The entrance of thy words giveth light,
it giveth light understanding to the simple."
(verse 130 KJV)

"The entrance...the opening of it: when I open my Bible to read,
light springs up in my mind.  Every sermon, every prayer, every act of faith,
is an opening by which light is let into the seeking soul."
(Adam Clarke)

"I opened my mouth wide, and panted,
For I longed for Your commandments."
(verse 131)


You know, the bend over and pant,
the side-ache, the gasping for air.
I've had to convince my youngest
that the side-ache from running in
his P.E. class is a common affliction,
and that he is not dying when he calls
from the attendance office to come get him.




"The metaphor taken from an animal exhausted in the chase.  He runs open-mouthed, to take in the cooling air; the heart beating high, and the muscular force nearly expended through fatigue.  The Psalmist sought for salvation, as he would run from a ferocious beast, for his life.  Nothing can shew his earnestness point of view." (Adam Clarke)




"As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So my soul pants for You, O God."
(Psalm 42:1)

Have you been so hounded by the world that you can scarce take a breath?  It's like it wants to suck all the oxygen out of you.  I have run so that I have seen stars, have blacked out in my vision having to be led off the track and taken home.  I had to fight not to faint completely.  It put me to bed for a week as my body over-reacted to exertion even in high school (before any diagnosis of auto-immune issues, I guess.)  I was just pure puny.  Perhaps that's why I have an aversion to running. 


Yet, how well I remember the side-aches.  It is in such weakness that we long to breath in God's word to survive.  Rather than using a paper bag to bring balance to our breathing, we can turn to the paper pages of His word.



"Turn to me and be gracious to me,
After Your manner with those who love Your name."
(verse 132)

"Look upon me.  Consider Thy poor, dependent, helpless creature. 
Look, not with indignation, which I deserve;
but with the mercy which Thou knowest I need."
(Adam Clarke)


Back to the faint type of runner I turned out to be:  I found out that I couldn't run with the big dogs.  In that simple failure to run around a track without blacking out, I realized my silly limitations.  I was not one of the strong.  It was embarrassing.  My best girlfriend was called in to help me.  She asked a young man she knew to drive me home.  Back then the school allowed such things.  I remember being humbled by this, being helped into this stranger's car, a senior's souped-up Dodge Dart, needing to leave school in the middle of the day.  I was weak-sauce.

"God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong."
(I Corinthians 2:27)


God doesn't need the strong to find the willing.  He only needs those who turn to him.  To these He chooses to be gracious, to those who love His name.





No comments:

Post a Comment