Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2016

PSALM 119

verses 137-141


"Righteous at You, O Lord,
And upright are Your judgments.
You have commanded Your testimonies in righteousness
And exceeding faithfulness.
My zeal has consumed me,
Because my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
Your word is very pure,
Therefore Your servant loves it.
I am small and despised,
Yet I do not forget Your precepts."



One of the twins was singing a song in the car after their kindergarten day was done.  It was one that her class was practicing for Grandparents Day coming up.  She said, "Mom I can't stop thinking about going to grandma's house, how...how she yelled at me!"  What?  I don't remember yelling at her.  I claim the grandma's privilege of not usually having to be the heavy hand leaving that up to their parents.  The only time I can think of was when I might have yelled, "STOP!" because she wanted to fold up her brother under the electric recliner as it closed.  She did have that deer in the headlights look about her when I explained how dangerous that was and her brother said, "Don't you love me, Addie?  Why do you want to kill me?" 




Maybe my zeal consumed me for a minute there.  Maybe that was the memorable time when this grandma yelled.  By the way, this little girl can hold grudges for years.  So, I'm looking forward to Grandparents Day anyway wondering if she will spear me with a look.  I hope she does not feel small and despised. 



Yeah, that look!

God is righteous, "infinitely holy," upright, and exceedingly faithful.  His word is very pure.  If I am looked upon as small and despised because I love His word, that's okay.  God has chosen the foolish things of the world.  Yep, that's me sometimes.  Adam Clarke says, "'Thy word is pure, It is pure in itself, and the purifier of the heart.'" '"It is not a purified thing; but a thing that purifies.  'Now ye are clean,' said Christ, 'by the word I have spoken unto you.'" "'I am small.' Of no weight or authority have no secular power.'  'Despised.  Have no credit nor respect.'  'Yet do I not forget Thy precepts.  Nothing can move me while upheld by Thee; and Thou wilt uphold me while I cleave to Thee.'"   Yep, I'm a clinger alright, worse than a burr under God's saddle, hard to be ignored.


"Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness,
And Your law is truth."
Trouble and anguish have come upon me,
Yet Your commandments are my delight.
Your testimonies are righteous forever;
Give me understanding that I may live."
(verses 142-144)




Adam Clarke says, "'Thy righteousness is an everlasting righteousness,' The word...is a word of very extensive meaning in the Bible.  It signifies not only God's inherent righteousness and perfection of nature, but also His method of treating others;--His plan of redemption; His method of saving others;--His method of saving sinners...It is a righteousness that is everlasting.  It is the truth:--It has priority of all laws, contains no falsehood...It shall be fulfilled."

"Trouble and anguish have found me,
Yet Your commandments are my delight."


We're no longer in the Garden...


Adam Clarke reminds us that we "are under the cross." "I am exercised with various trials, from men and devils...'Yet Thy commandments are my delights.'  While faithful to Thee, all my afflictions are sanctified to me, so that I can rejoice while I suffer."  This is the same that James (1:2) describes when he says, "Consider it all joy, my brethren ,when you encounter various trials..."

"my delights."

When we went on our one and only cruise for three days, food served there was almost as much of a lure as the ocean.  I was unerring in my delight, eating salmon every night for dinner followed by chocolate lava cake.  These were my daily delights.  I could have eaten this forever!  This is akin to the Turkish Delight which tempted one of the "sons of man," in Narnia leaving Edward always wanting more.  Yes, that's the kind of delight we have in God's Word, left always wanting more.

"Give me understanding that I may live."

"I always stand in need of teaching.  'And I shall live.' 
Live in me, that I may live by Thee."
(Adam Clarke)


No comments:

Post a Comment