Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2016


PSALM 119

verses 148-151

"My eyes anticipate the night watches,
That I may meditate on Your word.
Hear my voice according to Your lovingkindness;
Revive me, O Lord, according to Your ordinances.
Those who follow after wickedness draw near;
They are far from Your law. You are near, O Lord,
And all Your commandments are truth."


Are you a heavy sleeper?  Well, good for you.  For the rest of us roller-overs, plumper of pillows, this is good advice about how to fall asleep again: meditate on the Word of God.  For me, I try to recite Psalm 1 or the Lord's prayer, or just give things that are keeper-upper ponderances over to God instead of wrestling with them myself. 




Since I wasn't so blessed to have children who fell asleep easily or stayed asleep, my eyes did anticipate the night watches, for what they were worth, always being interrupted.  Just a little me and God time, even if was like locking myself in the bathroom for a moment of peace with a little hand knocking at the door wanting more attention.  Yeah, that kind of anticipation. 


Lovingkindness is mercy.  Revive me is quickening.  Oh, merciful heavens, we need a little help down here!  Mercy!  Does God hear us?  Yes.  He tells us "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." (James 4:8)  God always beats us to the draw.


But our prayers are not just individual.  They are for our nation.  Because there are wicked forces drawing near who are far from God.  David says to his best friend in I Samuel 20:3, "there is hardly a step between me and death."   But we have assurances as given in Deuteronomy 4:7,


"For what great nation is there
that has a god so near to it as is the Lord our God
whenever we call on him?"




This can be a prayer for us in this pivotal time in our nation.  Though many are far from God's law, are lawless, wicked, corrupt, God is near.  All He is, has, and does is truth.  So we can cling to our Bibles and hold to our guns and be settled in the Truth: they may draw near though they are far from God, but God is near.  That is the most important thing to us whether in the night watches, things that keep us awake, or in our moment to moment existence in this world, God is saying, "I got this."  You know, like the old song, "Lean on me, when you're not strong; I'll be your friend and help you carry on...Just call me, call me."






No comments:

Post a Comment