Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2016

PSALM 119
verses 163-168


"I hate and despise falsehood,
But I love Your law.
Seven times a day I praise You
Because of Your righteous ordinances.
Those who love Your law have great peace,
And nothing causes them to stumble.
I hope for Your salvation, O Lord,
And do Your commandments.
My soul keeps Your testimonies,
And I love them exceedingly.
I keep Your precepts and Your testimonies,
For all my ways are before You."






This Psalm shows the love/hate dichotomy.
The opposite of Truth is falsehood.
Hmm.  Which do you want to base your life on?
We want to love Truth and hate falsehood.



Matthew Henry says...

"Love and hatred are the leading affections of the soul;
if those be fixed aright, the rest move accordingly.
Here we find them fixed aright in David.




1.  He had a rooted antipathy to sin; he could not endure to think of it: 'I hate and abhor lying,'
which may be taken for all sin. Hypocrisy is lying; False doctrine is lying; breach of faith is lying.
Lying, in commerce or conversation, is a sin which every good man hates (false scales).

2.  He had a rooted affection to the word of God: 'Thy law do I love.' And the reason why he loved the law of God was because of the truth of it."



"Seven times a day I praise You"

"We have often seen that seven was a number expressing perfection, completion...among the Hebrews...In a manuscript...A.D. 971...Every Christian man is commanded that he always his body even times bless with the sign of Christ's cross.  1. First, at day break.  2.  Second time at  undern tide, (nine o'clock a.m.) 3.  The third time at midday.  4. The fourth time at noontide (three o'clock, p.m.)  5.  The fifth time,  in the evening.  6.  The sixth time, at night ere he go to rest.  7.  The seventh time, at midnight.  A good man would do so if he awoke.  It seemed the sign of the cross was thought sufficient even without prayer." (Adam Clarke)  Perhaps it is better to do as Paul says, to pray without ceasing.  It is an interesting concept though that it was considered a way to praise God by making the sign of the cross over their body seven times a day.  Just get your praise on!  And here's why...

"Those who love Your law have great peace,
And nothing causes them to stumble.
I hope for Your salvation, O Lord,
And do Your commandments.
My soul keeps Your testimonies,
And I love them exceedingly.
I keep Your precepts and Your testimonies,
For all my ways are before You."


Loving on God gives us great peace because the struggle is settled in our very soul.  Nothing, but nothing can cause us to trip up and stumble as long as we are loving on God.  And how could we go on without this hope of our salvation?  This is what keeps us keeping on, because it is soul deep.  This is why we love the things of God exceedingly!  Everything is laid out bare before "Him with whom we have to do." 

Matthew Henry says...
"Our love to the word of God must be a superlative love,
and it must be a victorious love,
such as  will subdue and mortify our lusts. 
Bodily exercise profits little in religion;
we must make heart-work of it
or we make nothing of it."




Okay, speaking of exercise, it's been a while since I conquered bike riding.  But it seems to me, there is a balance to be had only when you begin to petal and go forward.  Yep, that's our Christian life.  Ride like the wind!





No comments:

Post a Comment