Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2016

PSALM 119

verses 97-104




"O how I love Your law!
It is my meditation all the day.
Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies,
For they are ever mine.
I have more insight than all my teachers,
For Your testimonies are my meditation.
I understand more than the aged,
Because I have observed Your precepts.
have restrained my feet from every evil way,
That I may keep Your word.
I have not turned aside from Your ordinances,
for You Yourself have taught me.
How sweet are Your words to my taste!
Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
From Your precepts I get understanding;
Therefore I hate every false way."



Wait a minute.  Did David just brag that he was smarter than his enemies, smarter than his teachers and the aged?  No, not really.  He is saying that meditating on God's word makes one wiser, with more insight and understanding than knowledge alone.  Adam Clarke said in the 1700's, "Many in the present day take upon themselves the character of 'Ministers of Jesus Christ,' who have never felt His gospel to be the power of God to their salvation.  A simple woman, converted to God, and who has the witness of His Spirit that she is His child, has a thousand times more true wisdom than such persons, though they may have learned many languages, and many sciences."


Many are willing to pay up to $30,000 a year to obtain knowledge at institutes of higher learning. But without God, there is no wisdom.  Knowledge can be twisted.  But wisdom is free.  


James 1 says...

"But if any lacks wisdom, let him ask of God,
who gives to all generously and without reproach,
and it will be given to him. 
But he must ask in faith without any doubting,
for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea,
driven and tossed by the wind.
For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord,
being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."
verses 5-7


Mary pondered these things in her heart, because she loved her child born of God.  So, we can keep God's word in our hearts to ponder day and night.  When sleep avoids me, I try to recite the first Psalm.  In my sleep-deprived state, it is so difficult to remember what I learned long ago, so I soon fall asleep.  But the verse that says, "I will hide God's word in my heart that I might not sin against Thee," is so true.

I doubt than David had a bumper sticker that said, "My camel is smarter than your 5th grader."  Camels can be taught tricks, but they will never have wisdom.  There's a lot of trickery out there, but wisdom is becoming scarce.  This is strange because God is willing to give it generously.  It's free for the asking.


Matthew Henry says, "What we love, we love to think of; by this it appeared that David loved the word of God that it was his meditation...In short, the written word is a surer guide to heaven than all the doctors and fathers, the teachers and ancients, of the church."  Many spend a lot of time, say, thinking about coffee.  Where does your mind wander to?



In fact the exclamation marks show how David felt, "O how I love Your law!"  "How sweet are Your words to my taste!  Yes sweeter than honey to my mouth!  I believe the Psalmist as a boy watching the sheep had learned to ponder the word.  It certainly inspired so many Psalms .  As Adam Clarke said, "There is such a thing as a spiritual taste, an inward savour and relish of divine things."

The Psalmist ends this portion by telling us what understanding will lead to.

"From Your precept I get understanding;
Therefore I hate every false way."
verse 104


Some are lost like in a maze
chasing false ways out, dead-ends.
There's only one true way.

We began with love and end with hate.  Scripture teaches us to cling to what is good and to hate what is evil.   Many confuse the two and hate what is good and cling to what is evil.  Somehow this makes me think of politics.   Well, my, my, my, aren't we surrounded by false ways?  Don't you just hate it?  I do.  But I love, love, love the Word of God!










No comments:

Post a Comment