Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

PSALM 131


"O Lord, my heart is not proud,
nor my eyes haughty;
Nor do I involve myself in great matters,
Or in things too difficult for me.
Surely I have composed myself and quieted my soul;
Like a weaned child rests against his mother,
My soul is like a weaned child within me.
O Israel, hope in the Lord."



Since this is one of my very favorite Psalms, I know I have blogged about it before.  I love it probably because of personal experience of having nursed my children for over four years of my life.   I know how a weaned child rests when it no longer demands to be fed by you.  This is not true of  the weaning process which is a heart-wrenching time, when a babe begs for that tender relationship of mother and child which now is broken and must be denied in order for the child to grow beyond that dependence.  Physically it is difficult for the mother, and many tears are often painfully shared by both mother and child.  But this Psalm speaks of the child who is already weaned, who is peaceful and quieted, not demanding or protesting, but composed. 



This is a lesson to be learned.  Do we as the children of God demand from Him, or pout, cry, or stomp away when He does not yield to our desires?  Or have we learned to be content, still staying close to Him, resting upon Him, and trusting in His tender care and goodness for us?



Matthew Henry speaks of it beautifully...

"This is David's profession of humility, with thankfulness to God for His grace.  It is probable enough that David made this protestation in answer to Saul who represented David as an ambitious aspiring man, who under pretence of a divine appointment, sought the kingdom, in the pride of his heart."

"This was David's rejoicing, that his heart  could witness or him that he had walked humbly with is God.  He aimed not at a high condition, but, if God had so ordered, could have been well content to spend all his days in the sheepfolds.  His own brother, in a passion, charged him with pride (I Sam.. 17:28), but the charge was groundless and unjust.  He had neither a scornful nor an aspiring look; 'My eyes are not lofty, either to look with envy upon those that are above me, or to look with disdain upon those that are below me.'  As he had not proudly aimed at the kingdom, so, since God had appointed him to it, he had been as humble as a little child.  Our Saviour has taught us humility by this comparison (Matt. 18:3) we must become as little children.  Our hearts are naturally as desirous of worldly things as the babe of the breast.  But, by the grace of God, a soul is sanctified, is weaned from those things.  Thus does a gracious soul quiet itself under the loss of that which it loved, and lives comfortably, upon God and the covenant-grace."



Certainly in the perspective of recent current events, we need to compose ourselves with humility, quietly rejoicing in our heart for what God has done perhaps, not with haughty eyes gloating with pride in the great scheme of things.  It is a wonderful thing to rest, to put your trust in God that goes beyond politics, in great matters beyond your control.  This is where hope resides, you know, that deep down joy in your soul that jumps up into a smile once in awhile, one of satisfaction that all is well.

Adam Clarke says also beautifully...

"The principle of pride has no place in my heart: and consequently, the high, lofty, and supercilious look does not appear in my eyes.  I neither look up (with desire to obtain) to the state of others; nor look down with contempt on the meanness or poverty of them below me...Act all as I have done: trust in Him who is the God of justice and compassion; and, after you have suffered awhile, He will make bare His arm and deliver you...That his confidence was in God; in Him he trusted, and therefore was far from ambition...



1.   There was no pride in his heart: and he calls God to witness it.  'Lord, my heart is not haughty.'
2.  There was no arrogance in his carriage.  'Nor mine eyes lofty.'
3.  Nor in his undertakings. 'Neither do I exercise myself in great matters.' (perhaps except when as a young boy he took on the enemy giant of Goliath!)"

"What preserved him from pride was humility.  He proposes his own example of humility and peaceableness for all Israel to follow.  'Let Israel hope'  Never despair of God's mercy, nor His gracious providence.  The storm will be succeeded by fair and fine weather."




"Remember that He is Jehovah.

1.  Wise to plan.
2.  Good to purpose.
3.  Strong  to execute, and will withhold no good thing from them that walk uprightly.
4.  Trust from henceforth.  If you have not begun before, begin now.
5.  And do not grow weary;--trust for ever.  Your case can never be out of the reach of God's power and mercy."



When all is said and done, we sigh with satisfaction
having put our trust in the God of justice and compassion.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment