Pages

Monday, December 5, 2016

ADVENT

Dec. 5


Psalm 139:7-10

"Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in Sheol,
behold, You are there.
If I take the wings of the dawn,
If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
Even there Your hand will lead me,
And Your right hand will lay hold of me."




This is quite the conversation David was having with God.  It kind of reminds me of one the chats Job had with God...

"Then Job answered the Lord and said,
'Behold, I am insignificant;
what can I reply to You?
I lay my hand on my mouth.
'Then the Lord answered Job out of the storm and said,
'Now gird up your loins like a man...'"
(Put your big boy pants on!)
"Then Job answered the Lord and said,
'I know that You can do all things,
And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted...
Therefore, I have declared that which I did not understand,
Things too wonderful for me,
which I did not know."'
Job 40:3-4; 42:1-3)



I can just see Satan's face whipping back and forth following this volley of words between God and Job.  After all, he did not believe that Job would stay faithful under testing.  But he did.

So, where can we go from God's presence?  No where.  Remember He has us covered: "You have enclosed me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me." (v. 5)  He is Emanuel, God with us.  If we try to hide, He is the hound of heaven chasing our tail.  By the way, He has made the way to heaven for us to ascend, and yep, He's there.  Just so we wouldn't have to make our bed in Sheol, He conquered sin and death.  I don't like to make my bed and certainly don't want to make it there in the ghosty nether world!  Some say Christ even went down there during the three days He was dead in order to set those captives free.  He is there, past, present, future, in heaven and hell and in between--"from womb to tomb" (Job 10:19)--as well as in the things we understand and that which is too wonderful which we do not know .  He's there from the yawning of nature, the dawn, to the remotest part of the sea (where sea monsters lived and there was fear of falling off the face of the  world.) 


"If He deny us His gracious presence,
we fall into hell."
(John Mason)


"The wings of the dawn."
What a beautiful expression! 
We at also told that Christ was born from the womb of the dawn:
"I am...the bright morning star."
(Rev.22:16)


"Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
...when the morning stars sang together
And all the sons of God shouted for joy?"
(Job 38:4,7)

"In holy array (or the splendor of holiness), from the womb of the dawn..."
The wings of the dawn flutterings are in there somewhere.

Now as far as the Christmas story, this little Child, the bright morning star lying in the manger, is the One we can't get away from.  Isn't it amazing that we celebrate His coming to be Emanuel, God with us, as the most loved holiday every year.  We just can't get away from it.  He sticks closer than a stickle burr to your sock to lead us, and His little chubby baby right hand will guide us.  The wise men, perhaps the wisest of all, had to follow a star.  Phft!  This little baby created the stars: He is the star! 


The all-seeing eye...
"All things are open and naked to Him with whom we have to do."
(Frederick William Robertson, 1816-1853)

"Whither should I go?
A heathen philosopher once asked,
'Where is God?'
The Christian answered,
'Let me ask you, where is He not?'"
John Arrowsmith (1608-1659)


Thou art there.
Or, more emphatically and impressively in the original,
'Thou!'"
(Albert Barnes.)




No comments:

Post a Comment