Pages

Monday, December 19, 2016



ADVENT DEC. 18

PSALM 143:6-10

"My soul longs for You....
Answer me quickly, O Lord, my spirit fails;
Do not hide Your face from me,
Or I will become like those who go down to the pit.
Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning;
For I trust in You;
Teach me the way in which I should walk;
For to You I lift up my soul.
Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies;
I take refuge in You."
(verses 7-9)



This is a hurry up, God, kind of prayer. Have you ever prayed one of those?  If you've hung around or been a very pregnant woman, this is a common prayer: Deliver me!  There is that tipping point in pregnancy that you are done.  You want the bun out of the oven.  Enough already.  When I went three days over my due date with my first pregnancy, I decided I needed to do something.  So, I went out front to pick strawberries.  In order to reach them, I had to straddle a ditch and stretch like doing lunges across to pick them from a steep incline.  Not long after, it was a very short labor.  One of my daughters, who will remain unnamed, got on a bicycle when she was great with child hoping to bring about labor.  I think our little Mary might have felt something like this after going about seventy miles probably riding a donkey. 



 But then there is Advent which is all about waiting.  God's timing is perfect.  He doesn't rush.  He doesn't hurry.  He's had all of eternity to come to the rescue.  My husband used to say,"Pregnant with the purposes of God," and he wasn't talking about a waddling woman great with child.


 
"But when the fullness of the time came,
God sent forth His Son, born of a woman,
born under the Law,
so that He might receive the adoption as sons.
Because you are His sons,
God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts crying,
'Abba! Father!'"
(Galatians 4:4-6)




David was feeling desperate and exclaimed, "my spirit fails."

I love what Adam Clarke says, "I suffered a kind of swoon in my soul;
I was ready to faint when I considered Thy holiness and my impurity."

But from David's perspective in this dark night of his soul, he is crying out to his Father God, ''Answer me, Don't hide Your face, Let me hear You, Deliver me."  But I love how the author of Galatians puts it, that God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts crying, 'Abba,' Daddy! As His children, the very same spirit, the Holy Spirit, that is in His Son is one who cries out to His Daddy.  I don't know about you, but I think that is a beautiful, divine thought.  What is a baby's first word usually?  Daddy. DaDa, or in my kids' case, Da-e.  (Actually, mine said Mama first, but that's beside the point.)  That ache in our heart, that longing, is God's Spirit in us allowing us, urging us to call upon His name.



God sent His Son to the rescue,
a Son who calls Him Abba-Daddy,
One who invites us to do so as well.

So when your soul longs for God, with a longing to see God, longing to hear from Him, with a trust that defies present circumstances because you have taken refuge in Him, take heart.  Let Him teach you the way you should walk.  Just follow in your Daddy's footsteps, even if they are deep in the snow.  If you've ever been in the land of snow following your daddy, you know what I mean. 




No comments:

Post a Comment