Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2016

ADVENT DECEMBER 8

PSALM 139:13-16

"For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother's womb.
I will give thanks to You,
for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well. 
My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was wrought in the depths of the earth;
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance..."




This passage is the most beautifully ever written concerning the sanctity of human life from God's point of view.  It is also easily seen as a description of when Christ was in His mother Mary's womb as God formed His inward parts to weave Him there being fearfully and wonderfully made.   Christ was not hidden from God's sight.  God's eyes say His unformed substance.  This immaculate conception began in a most unusual way...

"The Holy Spirit will come upon you,
and the power of the Most High will overshadow you..."
(Luke 1:35)


This overshadowing was described at the very beginning of Creation,
"...darkness was over the surface of the deep,
the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.
Then God said...and there was."
(Genesis 1:2-3)

But even more than that, this passage is a picture--a sonogram, if you will--of how God is intimately acquainted with our very being from our inception on.  "Our soul knows it well."


From the very beginning of Creation, God made man for fellowship with him.  He made them male and female to bring offspring.  Since God made the first Adam "When I was made in secret,
and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth..." out of the dust of the earth until He breathed life into Him, God made him for Himself.  As Beth Moore says, "we are earthlings like in Creation."  Eve means mother of all the living, a term closest to the word Yahweh.  And once again, I will insert one of my favorite passages from Proverbs 8:30-31

"Then I was beside Him, as a master workman;
And I was daily His delight,
Rejoicing always before Him,
Rejoicing in the world, His earth,
And having my delight in the sons of men."


In the mystery of the Trinity, Jesus was God's delight, and He delighted in the sons of men.  Yet man fell and a second Adam was needed to bring mankind back to right relationship with God.  I was reading in a History of Christianity recently what an early writer (somewhere between 200-300 A.D) of his concept that since God intended man to be above the angels, Satan became jealous of that relationship.  Because of that, he was cast out and fell from the heavenlies.  It was then that jealousy led him to tempt Adam and Eve to break their fellowship with God as well.  Jesus is the second Adam to right the wrongs.  But isn't it delightful poignant that God would send Him as a helpless babe formed in the womb, oh sacred life thus formed.


I love how Beth Moore says, "God reserves the right to know you before anyone else knows you are pregnant." The very earliest a test can determine life is five days, but usually much longer.  "You darling child are my secret and I want to think about you before I let anyone else know."

"For Thou hast possessed my reigns"
(King James version)
"Not the indweller and observer only,
but the acknowledged Lord and possessor of my most secret self.
Reigns can be translated as the kidneys,
the seat of desires and longings."
(Spurgeon's Treasury of David)



Adam Clarke says
"...the Hebrews believed that the reigns were the first part of the human fetus that is formed..."

Putting this together is poetically beautiful, that the very first part of us that is created are our
desires and longings.  These longings and desires are the wellspring of love that drives us back to God, the only one who can fill those longings and put us back in right relationship to Him.  God has chosen to be intimately acquainted with us from our inception in the womb, the very unformed substance.  Amazing!

"There I lay hidden--
covered by Thee!
Before I could know Thee
or aught else,
Thou hast a care for me,
and didst hide me away as a treasure
till Thou shouldest see fit
to bring me to the light."
(Spurgeon's Treasury of David)

Matthew Henry says about
"Thou madest me in secret,"
The soul is concealed from all about us.
It was God Himself that thus covered us,
and therefore He can, when He pleases,
discover us."



Adam Clarke goes on to say, concerning being fearfully and wonderfully made"...it is withal so exquisitely nice and delicate...God has done so as to show us our frailty, that we should walk with death, keeping life in view; and feel the necessity of depending on the all-wise and continual care and providence of God."  and as to "curiously wrought," "means embroidered, made of needlework.  'When I was formed in secret; When I was wrought, as with a needle, in the lowest parts of the earth...'  the most artful embroidery with the needle was dedicated by the Hebrews to the service of the sanctuary...elegance...unexpected beauty." 


In Jeremiah 1:5 we read,
"Before I formed you in the womb
I knew you.
And before you were born
I consecrated you."

Even from inception,
God can consecrate us, sanctify us to be set apart to belong to Him,
to give us divine purpose.


O frail soul, you are beautiful. 
Let all your desires and longings pluck those heart strings
whose music lures you back to your Maker.













No comments:

Post a Comment