Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2016

PSALM 139Blessed are yo

Advent Dec. 4

"Even before there is a word on my tongue,
Behold, O Lord, You know it all. 
You have enclosed me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is too high, I cannot attain to it."
(verses 4-6)



First, let's look at this through the perspective of the Promised One from the lineage of David,
the Christ Child and the story of His birth.  First, if you've been reading my blog for very long, you might have noticed one of my favorite phrases in Scripture is found in Luke 1:35 in the words the angel said to Mary...

"The Holy Spirit will overshadow you;
and for that reason the holy Child--
the holy thing begotten--
shall be called the Son of God."



I love this because it seems to hint that there is no other word in any language which could describe the unique, one of a kind thing, "the holy thing begotten."
There is Thing One,
But there is no Thing Two.
We use the word "thing" when we cannot find any other word on the tip of our tongue.  Not even in the language of angels could a description be found to tell this very young virgin.

Then, the description, "the Holy Spirit will overshadow you,"
is also in a category all by itself, the immaculate conception. 
Perhaps the closest we can come to it is in the words of Psalm 139:5...


"You have enclosed me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me."

Mary's amazing response to this mystery?
"Be it done to me according to Your word."
(verse 38)

Have you ever held a baby bird or animal cupped carefully between your hands as gentle as can?
So not just Mary was overshadowed by the Holy Spirit, but we are also kept in the Father's hands.

"Thy hand, (means ) also the palm of Thy hand."
(Joseph Addison Alexander)
And what does God have inscribed upon His hands?
Our names.


"Can a woman forget her nursing child
And have no compassion on the son of her womb?
Even these may forget, but I will not forget you.
Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands...
(Isaiah 49:15-16)


Then again...
"while My glory is passing by,
that I will put you in the cleft of the rock
and cover you with My hand."
(Exodus 33:22)

God has to protect us from Himself
because He is so glorious that we cannot stand it!

No wonder the Psalmist tell us...
"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is too high, I cannot attain to it."
(Psalm 139:6)



Then there is the matter of the following  verses in Luke 1, of the two pregnant women meeting, perhaps even for the first time, Mary and Elizabeth.  Who recognized the Christ in Mary's womb first? Another babe, John the Baptist, Elizabeth's unborn child...No words were needed, just a little leaping.  It is such an important fact of the babies recognizing one another, that it is repeated twice (verse 41 & verse 44)




"When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting,
the baby leaped in her womb;
and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
And she cried out with a loud voice and said,
Blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb!
And how has it happened to me,
that the mother of my Lord would come to me?
For behold, when the sound of your greeting reached my ears,
the baby leaped in my womb for joy.
And blessed is she who believed that there would be
a fulfillment of what had be spoken to her by the Lord."
(Luke 1:41-45)




Before Christ was born, before He was yet to utter a word, He Himself being the very Word of God, two babies still in the womb recognized each other.  Amazing.  Leaping for joy! What an elevated view of the sanctity of life of the unborn.  God knows each and every one of us, every thought and every word which would proceed from our mouths.  Before we obtain the ability to speak in the womb, down to our old age with those senior moments when words are on the tip of their tongue but we can't quite remember them, God knows every single one.

"For thoughts are words to God."
(Matthew Henry)

"Although there be not a word in my tongue,
behold, O Jehovah, thou knowest the whole of it,
--that is, thou knowest all my words before they are uttered,
as Thou knowest all my thoughts while as yet they are unformed."
(unformed words, unformed embryos)
(Adam Clarke)

"Think not that your words are dissipated in the air before God can hear.
Oh no!  He knows them even when still upon your tongue."
(Johann David Frisch, 1731)














1 comment: