Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

PSALM 145



"I will extol You, my God, O King,
And I will bless Your name forever and ever.
Every day I will bless You,
And I will praise Your name forever and ever.
Great is the Lord, and highly to be praised,
And His greatness is unsearchable.
One generation shall praise Your works to another,
And shall declare Your mighty acts."
(verses 1-4)



This is another Hebrew alphabet song with 22 verses.  Adam Clarke says that "The Rabbina have it in such high estimation, that they assert, if a man with sincerity of heart repeat it three times a-day, he shall infallibly enjoy the blessings of the world to come."  Remember, this is a song-Psalm.  Part of this Psalm has been made into a contemporary worship song, "Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised." 



I don't know about repeating this Psalm 145 three times a day, it would be nice, but I doubt I will do that.  However, I can and should have breathed in my soul constantly that verse, "Great is the Lord, and highly to be praised."


David as a king is singing this to His King.  He calls God, "my God, O King."  Me, my, mine: these are personal words first spoken in childhood.  "Mine!" is a typical exclamation of a little one.  But as God is embraced as "my God," He is One to be shared in worship with all the world, extolling, blessing, and praising His name. 


"I will extol thee."  Adam Clarke interprets this as "I will raise Thee on high, I will lift Thee up."
He quotes a hymn line by Mr. Addison, "Thro' all eternity to Thee, A joyful song, I'll raise;
But O, eternity's too short To utter all Thy praise."  This is perhaps why we have the tendency in worship to raise our hands.



"His greatness is unsearchable."  "Literally, To His mightinessess there is no investigation.  All in God is unlimited and eternal."  This is to express the unexpressable by praise.  He is the great Beyond.  He is unsearchable, yet our hearts search for Him and find no rest until we find it in Him.  Augustine said, "Our hearts are restless until we find our rest in Thee." 



Adam Clarke goes on to say, "His greatness is unsearchable.  Past our weak capacity to comprehend: higher than the heavens, deeper than hell, having no end.  Or, if great here refer to Him as King, then in respect to the extension of His empire over every living creature, He is great: He rules over the hearts of the children of men; over their thoughts and affections; and nothing is hidden from His sight."

"One generation shall praise Your works to another." 

"Thy creating and redeeming acts are recorded in Thy word: but Thy wondrous providential dealings with mankind must be handed down by tradition, from generation to generation; for they are in continual occurrence, and consequently innumerable." 


It is like lighting the next candle as yours is melting away.

I think of my Gram and her sister, Ruby and Sally.  They were raised by godly parents.  Their father Uncle Bud was an evangelist.  They had a Christian heritage that went further back as their grandfather Robinson was a physician and lay preacher.  This generation--my life--and the next generation--my children's--have been blessed by them, even by the generations who walked before us whom we never met.   However, it was a privilege to have known Miss Sally and her husband, Uncle Welch.  After every visit, as company was leaving, Uncle Welch would pause at his threshold and quote from memory a long passage of Scripture as a parting gift.  At least one of his descendants did likewise.  Now thinking of the murder of one of their great granddaughters, it is a terrible, insensible loss.  One hopes that this earlier generation had passed down to her generation a longing heart for God that found her rest in Him. 



What a responsibility it is to make sure it is passed down.  As the Scripture says, "I have no greater joy than to hear my children walk in truth."  (III John, verse 4)  "I rejoiced greatly that I found thy children walking in truth..." (II John, verse 4)  There was the song that used to be sung, "My Father's Eyes."  Truly, what we want more than our children to have certain features, is that they be recognized by resemblance to their heavenly Father as His child.  And yet, every Christian is a first generation by regeneration.  You cannot merely  inherit a tradition without embracing it yourself.





No comments:

Post a Comment