Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

HEBREWS
1:10-12

"You, Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth,
And the heavens are the works of Your hands;
They will perish, but You remain;
And they all will become old like a garment,
And like a mantle You will roll them up;
Like a garment they will also be changed.
But You are the same,
And Your years will not come to an end."



"You, Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth."

We only have to go back to Hebrews 1:2 to be reminded that
"His Son...through whom also He made the world."
Yes, He was there in the beginning when God said,
"Let Us make..."
(Genesis 1:26)


And back to one of my favorite passages I often quote from,
Proverbs 8:22-31
"The Lord possessed me at the beginning of His way,
Before His works of old.
From everlasting I was established,
From the beginning, from the earliest times of the earth.
When there were no depths I was brought forth...
Then I was beside Him, as a master workman;
And I was daily His delight,
Rejoicing always before Him,
Rejoicing in the world, His earth,
And having my delight in the sons of men."

A famous quote from Bill Cosby show talking to his son,
"I brought you into the world,
and I can take you out of the world."

Actually, only God has that power, not only over His people,
but power over the world itself.

"They will perish, but You remain."


Adam Clarke says, "Permanently fixed as they seem to be, a time shall come when they shall be dissolved, and afterward new heavens and a new earth be formed, in which righteousness alone shall dwell."  One only has to look at the end of the book to get a peek at how it all ends. Rev. 21:1ff

"Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth;
for the first heaven and the first earth passed away,
and there is no longer any sea. 
And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,
made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. 
And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying,
'Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men,
and He will dwell among them,
and they shall be His people,
and God Himself will be among them...'"


Then the description of the glory of that new creation continues to the end of Revelation, 22:21.

Only God will not change.  He will remain.

Garments, mantles, vestures.


I don't know about you, but I have a tendency to hoarding.  Case in point, my closet is stuffed.  I haven't quite got the hang of "something new in, something old out."  Pleasantly, for the first time in my life-EVER--I needs must cleanse my closet of clothes that have become too big due to my  weight loss.  It's a terrible thought that maybe I should hang on to some things just in case I gain that weight back.  My husband isn't as bad except for old shoes and old winning church league basketball tee-shirts, reminding him of being back in the glory days.  I draw the line when they begin to shred, and he sighs and hands them over for the rag bag.  Ten years or more is a long shelf life for a tee-shirt, wouldn't you agree?


Fashions Fade



Adam Clarke continues, "'Shall wax old as doth a garment.'  As a garment by long using becomes unfit to be longer used, so shall all visible things they shall wear old, and wear out; and hence the necessity of their being renewed.  It is remarkable that our word 'world' is a contraction of 'wear old; a term by which our ancestors expressed the sentiment contained in this verse. 


"And as a vesture shalt Thou fold them up,
and they shall be changed:
But Thou art the same,
And Thy years shall not fail."
(KJV)

The fabric of this world has decay woven into it.  The harder we grab hold of it, the more frayed it becomes.  In spite of the natural law of entropy which teaches us that all things gradually or ultimately decay, ("the arrow points downward, not upward") there is One who we can cling to who will not change, whose years will not come to an end, whose years will not fail.  And guess what!  There is a new garment, a white robe, waiting for us.




"These words ('But Thou art the same') can be said of no being but God; all others are changeable or perishable, because temporal; only that which is eternal can continue essentially...'Thy years shall not fail.' There is in the Divine...no time to be reckoned.  All is eternity--infinite--and onward." (Adam Clarke)

I am almost motivated to go thin out my closet, almost.  Not just because of what is old, stained, torn, outdated, or doesn't fit needs to be purged, but because none of it is in the category of what is eternal.  That doesn't mean that one should get rid of it all and revert back to the wardrobe of Adam and Eve in the beginning before their shame, or even the passing fad of wearing leaves. 
 (My third child once upon a time when she was little decided one day she didn't want to go to heaven if it meant that she would have to dress or be undressed like Adam and Eve.)  However, it might be good to practice letting go of things, you know, "only to the cross I cling..."















No comments:

Post a Comment