Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2017

HEBREWS 2:1

"For this reason we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard,
so that we do not drift away from it."

"we must pay much closer attention..."


The mothers of my grandchildren have learned that for a child to obey, they must get their attention first.  That means eye to eye, nose to nose before the ear can hear. I've seen the little ones eyes roaming, distracted before they honed in on the voice of their mother demanding their attention; otherwise, they drift away.
 

"Because God has spoken to us by his Son;
and because that Son is so great and glorious a personage;
and because the subject which is addressed to us
is of such infinite importance to our welfare."
(Adam Clarke)





"we surely ought to give more abundant heed.  This is the same word as is use in chapter 6:17,
'God being minded to shew more abundantly unto the heirs of the promise, the immutability  of His Counsel.'  In what God speaks and does, it is all with the desire to show us more abundantly, in full and overflowing measure, what the purpose of His heart is."
(Andrew Murray)

When God speaks,
we must listen.
In the incarnation,
His disciples were eye to eye,
nose to nose listening.

"...what we have heard,
what we have seen with our eyes,
what we have looked at and touched with our hands,
concerning the Word of Life."
(I John 1:1)



To neglect His Word
is to neglect listening
to God speaking.

Besides that, He also speaks to us in the natural world,
so we are without excuse:



"because that which is know about God is evident within them;
for God made it evident to them. 
For since the creation of the world
His invisible attributes,
His eternal power
and divine nature,
have been clearly seen,
being understood through what has been made,
so they are without excuse."
(Romans 1:19-20)



Take heed,
"so that we do not drift away."




I've told the story before that the mountains in Colorado called to us until we spent most of our family vacations camping there while I was growing up from age three years old on.  Living on a tight pastor's budget, my father worked hard to make it possible.  Once he bought an unfinished kayak and put on enough fiberglass to finish it.  So we proudly drove that year with it on the roof of our car and  inaugurated its first voyage in the snow-fed Lake San Crystabel.  Our budget was so tight, we did not buy a real paddle but used a broom.  After enjoying success, our father offered the broom and boat to us children.  When it was my turn, my father gave minimal instructions on how to paddle, and off I went.  It seemed easy when I paddled out.  However, I seemed to forget everything when I was far from shore and started paddling in circles drifting further away.  I was just a little girl with a broom in a lake that would freeze me to death before I could swim back to shore if I sank or flipped.  My father stood on the shore and shouted instructions I had heeded on shore but now forgot.  I could barely hear him and my efforts at first seemed useless as I panicked.  But, as you see, I lived to tell the tale.  I found that it was dangerous to drift away even with a broom in hand because the further away from my father, it was harder to hear his voice. 

TAKE HEED
lest you
drift
away.


No comments:

Post a Comment