Pages

Thursday, March 23, 2017


HEBREWS 8:7-12



This is an amazing prophecy from Jeremiah 31:31-34
This is one of those odd with lots of zeroes "coincidences," of prophecy being fulfilled in Jesus given 800-900 years before He was even born.  That gave the Jews a long time to be prepared for the change that was coming...


"For if that first covenant had been faultless,
there would have been no occasion sought for a second.
For finding fault with them, He says,
'BEHOLD THE DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD,
WHEN I WILL EFFECT A NEW COVENANT
WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL,
AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH;
NOT LIKE THE COVENANT WHICH I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS
ON THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND
TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT;
FOR THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT,
AND I DID NOT CARE FOR THEM, SAYS THE LORD.
FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL.
AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD:
I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS,
AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS.
AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD,
AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
AND THEY SHALL NOT TEACH EVERYONE HIS FELLOW CITIZEN,
AND EVERYONE HIS BROTHER, SAYING
'KNOW THE LORD,'
FOR ALL WILL KNOWME,
FROM THE LEAST TO THE GREATEST OF THEM.
FOR I WILL BE MERCIFUL TO THEIR INIQUITIES,
AND I WILL REMEMBER THEIR SINS NO MORE.'
When He said, 'A new covenant,'
He has made the first obsolete.
But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old
is ready to disappear."

"On the day when I took them by the hand."


John Wesley says, "With the care and tenderness of a parent; and just while this was fresh in their memory, they obeyed.  But presently after they shook off the yoke, they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not--So that the covenant was broken in pieces...After the Mosaic dispensation is abolished: I will put my laws in their minds--I will open their eyes and enlighten their understanding to see the true, full, spiritual meaning thereof; and write them on their hearts--So that they shall inwardly experience whatever I have commanded them...and I will be to them a God--Their all-sufficient portion, and exceeding great reward; and they shall be to me a people--My treasure, my beloved, loving, and obedient children...He is God's and God is his."


Adam Clarke says, "'The words finding fault with them' may refer to the Jewish people, of whom the Lord complains that they had broken His covenant though He was a husband to them...'And I regarded them not, I neglected them or despised them; but the words in the Hebrew text ...we translate, 'although I was a husband to them."



And continuing, "'and write them in their hearts;  All their affections, passions, and appetites, shall be purified and filled with holiness and love to God and man; so that they shall willingly obey, and feel that love is the fulfilling of the law: instead of being written on tables of stone, they shall be written on the fleshly tables of their hearts...to be God's people implies that they should give God their whole hearts."


As we see in the above, divorce is messy.  God's people were unfaithful.  His heart was broken.  He sought and wooed us once more by doing away with the old marriage license on paper, and providing a new one written on our hearts, so that we would be so filled with love for Him, that we would follow Him anywhere as His beloved, His treasure.  "I am my beloved's and He is mine." (Song of Solomon 2:16)  "Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God."



Andrew Murray says, "To live in God's presence and fellowship two things must be clear; the thought of sin must be put away out of God's heart, and the love of sin out of our heart...First, the forgiveness of sins so complete, that He remembers them no more for ever; they never more enter into God's heart.  And, second, the renewal of our heart and will so complete, that the law of God is written there by the Holy Spirit, so that the will of God is our will...the pardon of sin, purity of heart, and the presence of God--are so joined...In Him our justification and the assurance that are sins no more come up before Him.  In Him our sanctification, with the Holy Spirit breathing His will into our very heart."



He continues, 'Without holiness no man shall see God.'  When He was with His disciples on earth, the law was not yet put into their hearts.  How often they failed in humility and love and boldness.  But when He sat down upon the throne, He sent down the Holy Spirit from heaven in their hearts, and all was new.  They were full of humility and love and great boldness."


Have you truly fallen in love with God yet?




No comments:

Post a Comment