Pages

Thursday, June 22, 2017

HEBREWS 13:5


"For He Himself has said,
'I will never desert you,
nor will I ever forsake you."

This promise was first given to Jacob, then to Joshua, and again to Solomon,
and afterwards to Israel.

I Chronicles 28:20...
"David said to Solomon,
Be strong and of good courage, and do it:
fear not, nor be dismayed;
for the Lord God, even my God,
will be with thee;
He will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."


"This promise is made to those who are patiently bearing affliction or persecution for Christ's sake; and may be applied to any faithful soul in affliction, temptation, or adversity of any kind.  Trust in the Lord with thy whole heart, and never lean to thy on understanding; for He hath said, 'No, I will never leave thee; not I: I will never, never cast thee off."
(Adam Clarke)


"Our earthly life and heavenly life are more closely linked than we know." 
(Andrew Murray)

God Himself has said this, to us, to you, to me.  Think how many generations, hundreds upon hundreds of years He has continued to say this.  Jesus said in John 17:16 &18, "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever...I will not leave you as orphans."  There may be times where we feel like orphans, like we have lost God, but He has not lost us.  He sees, He knows, He cares. 



The opposite of trust is fear. Fear attacks our faith.  Our assurance wavers that our Father has not deserted us nor forsaken us.  The enemy of our soul will use this lie that we have been deserted, abandoned, to separate us from the constant fellowship of abiding with God.  Since it worked in the Garden when he was able to break that bond of closeness, constant fellowship, in the Garden, he keeps trying.  Don't let him.  You have God's word that He won't.



In MacLaren's Commentary, he says, "He will never fail thee, He will never drop thee; never let His hand slacken, never withdraw its sustaining power, but will communicate for ever, day by day, not only the strength, but the conscious security that comes from feeling that great, strong, gentle hand closing thee round and keeping thee tight...'No man may pluck them out of my Father's hand.'  No but they can wriggle themselves out of My Father's hand...faith grabs the divine promise."



Okay, I think we all have experienced that panic as a child when we find ourselves lost and alone.  Were you soon found?  Yep.  Me too.  I remember feeling like I never, ever wanted to lose sight of my mother again!  How much more should we feel that way concerning God?



No comments:

Post a Comment