Pages

Friday, June 23, 2017

HEBREWS 13:6

"so that we can confidently say,
'THE LORD IS MY HELPER.
I WILL NOT BE AFRAID,
WHAT CAN MAN DO TO ME?'
(Psalm 118:6)

 
We remember that He said He will never desert us, abandon us, drop us.  Remember He said that He had our names inscribed upon His hands--with His wounds He endured for us.  As we already looked at, He has sent the third person in the Trinity, the Holy Ghost, the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, the Helper to be with us forever.  So.....



"I will not be afraid!"

Declare it.  Say it with confidence! Stand like a warrior.  It doesn't matter what the color of our skin, the nationality, whether man or woman, but it does matter if we are a believer.  We have joined the army of God and will not be afraid.  This is a prayer I have prayed over those who have been deployed, but it is just as true for a mom staying home with little ones, for the one by or in the hospital bed, those trying to balance their checkbook, those at the Rescue Mission, those brand new to the faith or one of us old timers.  Just remember it is not in our own strength.  It is not possible without the Lord as our Helper.  We need the Holy Spirit.

One example of being filled with the Holy Spirit is boldness.  He can take away "man fear."  It is walking so close to God that the answer to the question, "What can man to do to me?" is the confidence that everything you experience has gone by the throne, like Job, but even so, he chose to cling to God.




What can man do to us?

Now we must answer the question, "What can man do to us."  Umm, Jesus showed us by His example sometimes it resembles a cross, like most of the Apostles found out and some Christians tortured by ISIS are still finding out.  For some of those who have suffered are documented in Fox's Book of Martyrs. 


Here's a short English history lesson from the mid 1500's...Sickly King Edward died young and a 16 year old Lady Jane Gray was pushed quickly to be crowned Queen.  She reigned four days.  After a battle in London, Mary, a Catholic, took over the throne and began her persecution of Protestants.  Here are young Lady Jane's last words before being beheaded after having been in thrown in the Tower of London...



"I die a good Christian woman, and that I look to be saved by no other mean,
but only by the mercy of God and the blood of His only Son Jesus Christ."
Then she read a Psalm in English and offered herself up.


Bloody Mary

Queen Mary began having Christians imprisoned, tortured, and burned at the stake--men and women--for reading Tyndale's translation of Scripture, or reading Luther's books, for not attending mass, opening defying her or the pope, or even for reading the Lord's prayer in English, No one was exempt who did not recant from their faith, from villagers to university teachers to those high in government. 

Here is what  one martyr said as he was to be burned at the stake, "Be merry, my brethren, and lift up your hearts to God; for after a sharp breakfast I trust we shall have a good dinner in the Kingdom of Christ."  Another said, "Oh, ye papists, Behold!  Ye look for miracles; here now you may see a miracle for even I feel no more pain than if I were in a bed; for it is as sweet to me as a bed of roses."  Of course, others suffered terribly and their friends would heap on more fuel to the flames to get it over with more quickly.  One man's fire was fed by piling on forbidden books, one of which he caught  as they were thrown, and he read aloud from it until he no longer could see.  (One martyr was named Jolley and another of my husband's family members may have been as well--Hubbard, and possibly one on my side as well, Sharpe.)  May we not be called to suffer like these, but even if...


My favorite song right now is by Mercy Me,
"Even If You Don't"

Some of the lines are...

"What will I say when I'm held
to the flame like I am right now?...
I know you're able
And I know you can
Save through the fire
with Your Mighty Hand,
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone."
It is well with my soul.

I know the sorrow
And I know the hurt
Would all go away
If You just say the word,
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone.
Cause I know You're able
And I know You can
Save through the fire
With Your Mighty Hand

You've  been faithful,
You've been good
All my days, Jesus
I will cling To You
Come what may.
Cause I know You're able
And I know You can
Save through the fire
With Your Mighty Hand,
But even if you don't
My hope is You alone.
It is well with my soul,
It is well with my soul.




No comments:

Post a Comment