Pages

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

PROVERBS 1:2

"To know wisdom and instruction,
To discern the sayings of understanding..."


To know wisdom is not the same thing as praying up a storm during a test at school to come up with the right answer.  Rather, wisdom might have looked more like the choice to study the night before.  Wisdom does not twist in the winds of popular opinion.  It does not evolve.  It is knowing in your knower when something is right and doing it whether someone is looking or not, whether someone agrees or not.  It looks a lot like integrity with shoes on.  

Get to know wisdom.  She's good company.  James 1:5 says, "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God. who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.  We all aren't born with the same smarts, but as long as someone can hear and believe this verse, he can ask and receive wisdom.  There are a lot of wise people out there who don't always have the highest I.Q in town.  You can't letter in wisdom in school.  You just have to ask, and keep asking.


Most pew-warmers are familiar with the hymn, "Be Thou My Vision."  Did you realize that the second verse is about asking, "Be Thou my Wisdom..."

"Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, and I Thy true son,
Thou in my dwelling and I with Thee one."

Phew! It should take the pressure off you knowing that it isn't something you have to earn or learn, but just ask for.  Sure God uses a lot of what we have learned to tune it closer to His thoughts.  Isn't that really what we are seeking after all?  His thoughts.  Oh, to have the mind of Christ!  I never could learn pig-Latin or was ever very good at puzzles, though I was smart in other ways.  However,  I could and have asked God for wisdom, and it kinda adds up after a lifetime of asking and listening for God's voice.  





Sometimes it takes on the beauty of being "an old-soul," which doesn't have a stamp for age.  Some are such at a young age while others never get it.  You know, those are the ones who gaze off seeing something you can't while others just look over their shoulders wondering what's there.  The wise are the ones you sometimes have to humble yourself to go ask for advice, kind of a hand-me-down wisdom.  Hey, I'll take it any way I can get it.



Adam Clarke says, "Wisdom may mean here, and in every other part of this Book, not only that Divine science by which we at enabled to discovers the best end, and pursue it by the most proper means; but also the whole of that heavenly teaching that shews us both ourselves and God, directs us into all truth, and forms the whole of true religion."

Hmm, perhaps this nation is spinning out of control because we have gotten away from being centered on the Wisdom of God and Christ who is our Wisdom.  No wonder this crazy world is like the mound of clay that is slapped onto the wheel but gets out of control wobbling further and further until it is about to fly off and hit the wall.  Well, Proverbs offers up much more to come on wisdom.



And then there is instruction.  Adam Clarke says, "the teaching that discovers all its parts; to understand, to comprehend the words or doctrines which should be comprehended, in order that  we may become wise to salvation."  Have you ever seen understanding dawning?  Yeah, that.


Okay, here's one of my favorite verses from Daniel 12:3, "Those who have insight (The instructors) will shine brightly like the brightness of the expanse of heaven, and those who lead the many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever."  It kinda makes me want to twirl out under a starry night.  Oh to have that star shine beam down on me!  Or as I Peter 12:3 says, "So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts."  Then in Revelation 22:16 Jesus says, "I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star."  That's who turns the light on.




  



No comments:

Post a Comment