Pages

Sunday, August 13, 2017

PROVERBS 1:6

"To understand a proverb and a figure,
The words of the wise and their riddles."
(NASV)


"To understand a proverb, 
and the interpretation;
the words of the wise, 
and their dark sayings."
(KJV)

Adam Clarke explains this meaning of "a figure" 
as "Dark sayings, enigmas or riddles. 
I believe parables such as those delivered by our Lord
nearly express the meaning of the original."


David sang,
"My mouth will speak wisdom
And the meditation of my heart
will be understanding."
I will incline my ear to a proverb,
I will express my riddle on the harp."
(Psalm 49:3-4)

"I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings of old,
Which we have heard and known,
And our fathers have told us.
We will not conceal them from their children,
But tell to the generation to come
the praises of the Lord,
And His strength and His wondrous works
that He has done."
(Psalm 78:2-4)


So, Solomon's father passed down these parables, these "dark sayings of old."  The world is a dark place and not all can understand the Word of the Lord.  Actually, these are dark at times to us  because who can understand the mind of God?  Yet, when the lightbulb goes on, and we receive the revelation, it is thrilling.  Think of the Word of God that has endured and enlightened every generation from the Beginning until now. 

It behooves us to pass it down ourselves to the next generation.  I heard the good news today of two young men dear to me who accepted the Lord this past week when the light of the Spirit shone down into their hearts.  It is a privilege to think that when I have prayed for them at night before I go to sleep, God used it in His mystery of grace through prayer to play a wee part as the Spirit hovered over them to lead them to the Truth.   Riddles are meant to be solved, but sometimes only God can open eyes to see.  



That is an example how God works, through the parables taught by Jesus for those who had ears to hear; to the disciples such as John who had the marvelous, but mysterious vision of Revelation;
to the wise who cracked open the Word until is as John Wesley said, "my heart was strangely warmed."  How well I remember when my heart revelled when the Word made sudden sense while I sat under a youth leader or under the teaching of a Sunday School teacher, not to mention under the preaching of worthy men.  Has your heart been strangely warmed?














No comments:

Post a Comment